Here are a few tips to ensure your school recycling program is a success.
- Get Input. Plan and design your recycling program with input from students, teachers and your facilities management team.
- Communicate: Schedule a “kick off” event to communicate your recycling program to everyone.
- Location is Key: Place recycle bins in key locations around the school – indoors and outdoors.\
- Consistency: Be sure all your bins can collect all materials in your recycling program, including waste.
- Signs: Place easy to read signs on the bins so materials go in the right bins.
- Lids: Use lids to help identify what goes in the bins.
- Clarity: Lids and signs will help reduce mixing recyclables and trash.
- Remove Garbage Only Bins: Don’t use separate trash containers or people will put recyclables in them.
- Provide Updates: Provide updates and ongoing education of the program.
- Get Feedback: Learn how the program is doing through lunch and learns or surveys to determine what works for everyone.
Hope these tips help and your recycling program is a success.